Subject: Re: Files Via Email.
From: Alex Howell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] (Paul Reece)
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1993 23:36:27 -0400

> Fair enough, but don't flame people in the process... That's not going to fix
> anything - What was that old saying?? - "Two wrongs don't make a right"

I didn't flame him.  Had I flamed him, you would have known...

> Who says that Michael would want these files to his personal account all of
> the time???  He has a life too, I'm sure ;-)

*I* sure didn't want those files in MY personal account.  Same goes for me,
so why DID *I* get them?  (More about that later.)

> There is ABSOLUTELY NO LAW that tells us that we can't send programs via Email

There is with Usenet.  Which a lot of local sites in Canada get these feeds
through.

> The internet is a democracy, not a dictatorship.  I will continue to send
> files over email... It doesn't hurt anyone!!

I'm not talking about internet am I?

> Here we go again....  I'm sure that admins have more things to worry about
> than the problems of one person...  WHY DON'T YOU JUST FORGET THE WHOLE THING?

I can't.  I never can.  Reason being.  I didn't WANT those files, I didn't
CARE for them.  I didn't want to go through the BS that day to read my mail.

> Thats the way that HITLER would want the internet to be.
> 
> Well, if you don't like things like this, the why don't you leave the list???
> I don't think that many others were worried by the problem at all... and
> anyway, if you are not meant to send files over mail, why do so many programs
> support it???

I joined this list because it was a DISCUSSION list.  Not a FILE list.  Was
I wrong?

> I have to agree totally with Mike.  You were far too hard on Scott....  Also,
> you must think about those people whom don't have internet access at all, only
> email......

Most of those people who DON'T have internet access have Usenet access, where
mail transfers aren't generally allowed, due to small systems along the way.
(Like local private ones.)

> IMHO there should be an optional list that you can subscribe to that people
> can send programs to.. OR an FTP site for AMOS programs ONLY....

An excellent idea.  But still, those files on a said list (Say Amos Files),
should make it to an FTP site.  [Because countless others could benefit from
them being there.  (Why be list selfish.)]

> Oh, and Alex, did you end up looking at Scott's programs???

Ah, no.  It had to be nuked before I could read any of my mail.  It caused
the temp drive to fill up when I tried to read my mail.  Had to copy the entire
mail file over to the other drive, nuke the large one and move it back, so I
could read the REST of my mail.  That message hit the bit basket before it
saw the light of day.
 
Alex...